logo

bo

Every kid who loved sports had posters hanging in their room. My walls were covered with posters. I grew up in San Diego, my favorite player of all-time was Tony Gwynn. Of course, I had a Gwynn poster, and for some reason I was into hockey as a kid despite the fact I grew up in Southern California. So I had a poster of Wayne Gretzky and Luc Robitaille. My pops is a huge Yankees fan so I also had a Don Mattingly poster, and to finish it off I had an MJ poster. You remember what you had up there.. Here are the top 5 posters kids had across the country….

1.) Bash Brothers Poster

pg2_ap_bash_brothers_400

Young, innocent kids across the country had posters of McGwire and Canseco up in their room for years. Totally unaware of what these two clowns were up to. This was just one version of a poster of these two celebrating their steroid usage. Let’s face it, back in the day the guys were popular. Oh how the mighty have fallen…..

2.) Michael Jordan Wingspan Poster

mj

There were two really popular Jordan posters. This one and the life size height poster. The poster was MJ standing next to about a 7 foot poster that marked off height. That was a pretty sweet poster, you could use it to chart your growth. If you got to see eye-to-eye with MJ you’re a pretty tall dude. Unfortunately, around the time you had it you were staring at his package.

3.) Bo Jackson

bo

Bo Jackson, in his day, was immensely popular. You either had this poster, a “Bo Knows” poster or this black and blue poster that represented the Raiders and Royals. Nike made Bo Jackson immortal with their “Bo Knows” Campaign

4.) Larry Johnson Grandmama Poster

larry1

Larry Johnson’s “Grandmama” was another extremely popular character and poster. At this point in time, there was nothing alarming about a big black dude dressed in old women’s clothes. There is currently no research on the psychological impact this poster had on adults today.

5.) Ken Griffey Jr. “The Kid” or Father/Son Poster

griffeydad_400x396

“The Kid” took on baseball by storm and was a huge fan favorite. Griffey Jr. posters hit households across the country, as he became one of most prolific center fielders of all-time. Because Griffey hung around for so long, it’s easy to forget just how awesome this guy was in his prime.

EVEN MORE UNATHLETIC STUFF

9 Responses to 5 Athlete Posters You Had Hanging In Your Room As A Kid

Jonathan Bentz

August 30th, 2010 at 5:35 pm

My brother and I had the Cal Ripken, Jr. MVP poster from the Costacos Brothers. It was a good one – http://www.sportsposterwarehouse.com/catImages/ripken92cos-3.jpg

Paul Katcher

August 30th, 2010 at 5:43 pm

My favorite was the Don Mattingly “Hitman,” which I didn’t know was still available:

Another favorite was Lawrence Taylor “Intimidation.” The photo of choice was perfect for it.

Big Daddy

August 31st, 2010 at 5:51 am

George Gervin’s “Iceman” poster…

Bobby A

August 31st, 2010 at 6:19 am

Michael Jordan had more than just the Wingspan one. He also had the “flying” one where he dunked from the free throw line. McDonald’s also had a great MJ poster giveaway with like three different posters from dunk contests.

Steve R

August 31st, 2010 at 2:14 pm

I had a great Randall Cunningham poster of him on the moon with shades and the earth in the background entitled ” The Eagle Has Landed”

Joe DeCosta

August 31st, 2010 at 2:15 pm

Moses Malone dressed up like moses standing up in the MTs

John

August 31st, 2010 at 4:01 pm

Forget the jocks…I had a THE Cheryl Tiegs poster on my wall

GEOFF

September 7th, 2010 at 10:13 pm

I HAVE SOME OF THOSE POSTERS YOU GUYS ARE TALKING ABOUT. THE RIPKEN MVP. I JUST SOLD THE ICEMAN ONE. I HAVE THE CUNNINGHAM. THE BO BLACK AND WHITE. THE GRIFFEY POSTER. BASH BROTHERS. I SOLD MY JORDAN WINGS POSTER TOO. I LOVE THOSE OLD POSTERS. I BOUGHT A BIG COLLECTION OF 80S AND 90S POSTERS FROM A GUY. IF YOU GUYS ARE LOOKING FOR ANYTHNG CERTAIN LET ME KNOW AND MAYBE WE CAN WORK OUT A DEAL

Gallery of Classic Sports Posters | Unathletic

September 9th, 2010 at 5:01 am

[...] man Norty did a great classic poster article the other day and I thought I would expand on it today. Remember how ridiculous sports posters [...]

Your Thoughts?

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Celebrity Toob